Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

How to Tell If My Dog Has Been Poisoned

Dogs eat all kinds of things. Sometimes this can lead to the ingestion of toxic substances. Our vets in Arlington discuss poisoning in dogs as well as how to know and what to do if your dog has been poisoned.

How Do You Know if Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

Poisoning in dogs is most often accidental. When your dog gets into something they shouldn't have, it can be quite concerning.

In other cases, dogs have been exposed to toxic substances or even eaten treats unsuitable for dog metabolisms.

Common Household Items Toxic to Dogs

Potentially toxic substances can be found all around the home and garden. That's why it's critical always to know where your dog is and to keep potentially harmful substances out of your curious dog's reach.

Some of the most common household substances that are poisonous to dogs are:

  • Chocolate
  • Raisins
  • Xylitol (low-calorie sweetener)
  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner
  • Laundry detergent
  • Tylenol
  • Alcohol
  • Gasoline
  • Tobacco
  • Furniture polish
  • Drain cleaners
  • Antidepressants
  • Snail, slug, or rodent poisons
  • Fungi
  • Yew trees
  • Acorns
  • Spring bulbs

How can I tell if my dog has been poisoned?

Some pet parents ask, 'How do you know if your dog has been poisoned?'. The first signs of a dog being poisoned vary greatly depending on the type of poison and fall into a few categories:

  • Symptoms caused by swallowed poisons can include vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, and heart issues.
  • Inhaled toxins may cause breathing difficulties or loss of consciousness in dogs.
  • If your dog's skin comes in contact with a poisonous substance, typical symptoms include irritation and pain.

It's important to note that poisoning symptoms may not appear for days or months after exposure.

Prognosis for Poisoning in Dogs

If you suspect your dog has ingested something poisonous, it is important to seek immediate medical attention. The fact that your dog does not display any symptoms immediately does not mean it is immune to the harmful effects of the poisonous substance.

There are several long-term symptoms that you should be aware of if your dog has been exposed to a poisonous substance, including irregular heartbeat, kidney failure, liver damage, blood loss, and neurological symptoms such as seizures. It is crucial to act quickly and seek medical assistance if you suspect that your pet has come into contact with a toxic substance.

When to Seek Emergency Veterinary Care

If you suspect your dog has been poisoned, it's important to stay calm and immediately contact the emergency veterinarian in your Arlington.

To prevent your dog from further exposure, remove it from the poisoned substance and move it safely out of your dog's reach.

Do not attempt to provide first aid to your dog, as different poisons require different treatments. Inducing vomiting, for example, may be necessary in some cases but can also make your dog sicker.

Therefore, it is recommended that you bring your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible so that they can administer appropriate treatment. If you know what has poisoned your dog, bring any packaging or a sample of the poison safely to your vet's office.

This will help your vet fully understand the situation and determine the best treatment course for your dog.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

If you believe your dog is experiencing poisoning or showing signs of sudden illness, please contact our veterinary office in Arlington immediately. Our team of vets is available to assist you and your pet.

New Patients Welcome

Crossroads Animal Clinic is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of Arlington companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

Contact (817) 277-9183